Wednesday

When life gives you spotty bananas...

Make banana bread!

This is a super easy recipe. So easy that, up until recently, this was the only thing my younger sister could make. (It is safe to say that now that she has been living in Nunavut since August she has learned to make many more delicious things.)

This has been my family's go-to banana bread recipe since my childhood and it is foolproof. Plus you will almost always have all the ingredients in your pantry already.


100 points to Gryffindor if you can guess what ingredient I forgot to write down...

Kindly add 3 over-ripe bananas to the ingredient list.


The basic recipe just says to combine all the ingredients, toss into a pan and bake which is perfect if you're in a time crunch but I like to do it in a few steps. I feel like you can a smoother consistency and a more blended flavour.

Mash your 3 bananas - I just used a fork.


Drop in your butter or margarine (I use salted butter) and eggs.
Mix together with a spoon or electric beater.


Add in your sugar, flour and baking soda.



Mix/beat until your batter is smooth and creamy


Now is the time to add a little extra flavour. I like to add in 1 tsp of cinnamon and a handful of chocolate chips.
Chocolate chip banana bread reminds me of my childhood - I refused to eat any banana bread or muffins without the chips.There's my little wave of nostalgia for the day.


Combine and add to a loaf pan or a 12 piece muffin pan.


Bake at 325F for one hour - so says the trusted family recipe.

I always set my timer for one hour, test the done-ness with a tooth pick and it never comes out clean. *If you insert a clean toothpick into your bread, muffins, cakes, etc. and it comes out clean it means it is done. If it comes out with gooey batter attached - leave it in the oven a bit longer.

It depends on your oven but I generally keep my banana bread in the oven for about 15-20 minutes past the hour.

After the first hour, just keep an eye on your bread.

It's not like you aren't lingering around the kitchen, inhaling the intoxicating smell, waiting for the bread to be popped out of the pan anyways...

Once it is done, let it cool for as long as you can and then slice with a serrated knife. 



I usually just go all out and slather my slice with butter.

It is so simple and  comforting that I actually can't have it in the apartment.
Seriously - I ate half the loaf myself, remembered bikini season is around the corner and ended up giving it to friends.



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment