Thursday

Wednesday night at The Chef's House

Last year my father took me to The Chef's House on King East (Toronto) and it was an incredible meal and a great night. Not wanting to be left out, mom asked to be treated to The Chef's House to celebrate their 30th anniversary. And I, never wanting to miss a delicious meal, got to tag along!

The Chef's House is a restaurant owned and run by the George Brown Culinary and Hospitality programs. Students are able to learn and practice working in an urban restaurant. Learn more here.

It is a fun dining experience with an open kitchen, TV screens in handy spots so you can glimpse some back-of-house action, and communal dining. The first time I went I was lucky enough to be seated next to an expert Fromager, Scott McKenzie - I've never talked so much about cheese in my life and I loved it!

The Chef's House has regular lunch and dinner service but once a month a Wednesday is special. The dinner is a set menu, accompanied by wine, and are based on a theme. These nights are called "Rising Star Dinners" and last night ours featured HOOKED Inc.

HOOKED is a different fish store, supplying Toronto with fish directly from the source (and sometimes directly from the boat!) - all sustainable or responsibly grown. This place is on my to-go-to list - especially since it sounds like they offer tasty fish tacos! You can find them in Leslieville and Kensington, open Tuesday - Sunday.

I've rambled long enough - to the meal.


Upon sitting we were offered champagne, oysters topped with horse radish and apple, and a delicious tuna bite. The champagne or Prosecco was delicious, soft and sweet - I'll be on the look out for it the next time I'm in need of bubbly.



The bread basket - always a must for my Dad and something I try to resist - was too good to pass up.



A large, plump seared Weathervane scallop resting on a sweet corn sauce, with dried cherry tomatoes.



Butter poached lobster frisee salad.


Lake Erie Pickerel, baby leeks, and crispy bacon.


Ending on a sweet note - lemon tart with orange sorbet. Lemon tart is not my most favourite but this was quite nice. I loved the orange sorbet though.


I highly recommend experiencing a Rising Star Dinner at The Chef's House. You can see the upcoming ones on their website - I'm looking forward to December when Fromager Scott McKenzie is hosting a cheese dinner!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment